When it comes to being a stepmom, it’s not always easy. In fact, it can be downright hard at times. But, it can also be incredibly rewarding. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you’re thinking about becoming a stepmom:
- Patience is key.
Stepmoms need to be patient. Patience is key when dealing with children, especially if they’re not your own. You need to be able to understand that they’re going through a lot and that they may not always be easy to deal with.
- Don’t try to replace their mom.
One of the most important things to remember is that you’re not trying to replace their mom. You’re simply trying to be another positive influence in their life. They already have a mom and they don’t need another one.
- You’re not in this alone.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed, remember that you’re not in this alone. There are other stepmoms out there who know exactly how you feel. Lean on them for support and advice.
- It’s okay to make mistakes.
No one is perfect, least of all stepmoms. You’re going to make mistakes. It’s okay. Just learn from them and move on.
- Give yourself a break.
Being a stepmom is hard work, in fact some stepmom say ‘I hate being a stepmom‘. Make sure to give yourself a break every now and then. Take a break from the kids and do something just for you. You deserve it.
Lord knows, there are PLENTY of grievances to express when it comes to the topic of stepmother hood. However, I was in the mood to talk about something uplifting, so I decided to make a list of the pros of being a stepmom. There have to be some, right? Otherwise, what the heck am I doing with my life?!
To my surprise, making this list was actually incredibly easy! I thought I was going to have to really wrack my brain for this one. I realized that I should probably spend a little more time harping on these aspects of stepmother hood instead of the more negative aspects that come with the territory. So whenever you are feeling down in the dumps, refer to this list and presto! Instant good vibes about your situation.
PROS OF BEING A STEPMOM:
1) You are automatically the “cooler” parent.
2) You get a break once in a while when they visit their other parent.
3) Stepmoms get so much credit for doing normal, supportive parenting things.
4) You get ultimate confidence that your husband really loves you. Otherwise, he would have never let you into his kids’ lives in such a meaningful way.
5) The heartwarming satisfaction of receiving love from little people that are not obligated to love you or even like you. Hopefully everyone experiences this one!
So no matter how tough it gets at times, remember there are some positives to your unique role. These are only five, but I think there are even more! Try thinking of some and add to the list.